Tax Tip If You Moved Into A New Home

Have You Moved? Or Are You Planning To?

If you recently moved into a new home, no matter the reason, it can be very disruptive. You have to change addresses for everything – banking and investment institutions, credit card companies, and so many other businesses.

So who would even think about the IRS??? 

There’s great news! You don’t have to worry about telling the IRS that you’ve moved right away, although if you make estimated payments, you may want to, just to avoid confusion. And with the caliber of those at the IRS, the last thing you would want is to take a chance on them becoming confused. I’ll get into that a bit later…

How To Advise IRS That You’ve Moved

I’m happy to tell you that this is probably one of the easiest dealings you’ll ever have with the IRS.

  1. There’s no money involved.
  2. The form can be filled out by just about anyone, so you don’t have to find time to visit an accountant and pay them for the service.
  3. There are no specific deadlines.

Too good to be true? Not this time…

How To Find The Form

Your IRS Change of Address form is just a click away. It’s posted on the IRS website here – it’s Form 8822. And to make it even easier, it’s a fillable form, so you can simply type the info right on your computer and just print and sign.

To file the form you have two options. If you only deal with IRS once a year to file your returns, simply print out the form and attach it to your federal tax return. They will advise your state’s treasury office. It will take about 6 to 8 weeks for this form to be processed.

As I mentioned before, if you send estimated payments, I recommend sending the form shortly after the move. You will need the mailing address, which depends on the state. You need to send it to the same address where you filed your last tax return. The mailing addresses for 2016 tax returns is on the IRS website here. 

Either way, this is an easy process, and can be a quick “do it yourself,” and in just a few minutes.

The following two tabs change content below.
Ellen is a Women’s Financial Specialist and has been a federally licensed tax practitioner for more than 25 years. She has expanded from the divorce specialty to a broader financial practice, helping women in many stages of life set up their finances on autopilot. She is also the author of the popular e-book "Divorce Starter Tools Women Need."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *